Search This Blog

Tuesday 24 October 2017

Technical Tuesday 7: bring your brain to your mapping!

Mapping! Love it or hate it...

Personally, I love it. Putting in little details to make a map feel like a lived-in world.

Although I picked up most of my mapping experience by just playing around, I have found this article on RPG Maker blog to be useful for a theoretical framework:

http://blog.rpgmakerweb.com/tutorials/mapping-engage-your-brain/

If you have a map that’s mostly made from negative space (i.e. low detail), the player’s eye will immediately go to any object. Likewise, if you have a map that’s mostly filled with positive space (i.e. high detail), the player’s eye will go to the empty area.
The most useful practical application of positive and negative space is to guide the player. If there’s something you really want the player to investigate, surround it by negative space. It will stand out much better. On the other hand, surrounding your road with trees or other high details will make it easier to notice and follow. (emphasis added)
That last point in particular is how I approach my wood maps. I think I could improve with city maps though!

Do you have any examples of good or terrible maps? Feel free to share!


No comments:

Post a Comment