Search This Blog

Tuesday 21 November 2017

Technical Tuesday 11: Effective openings

I love this post from the RPG Maker Blog:

http://blog.rpgmakerweb.com/tutorials/creating-an-effective-opening/

This quote in particular:
YOU WANT THE PLAYER DOING SOMETHING.
Unlike the opening of a book or movie, video games are games. This means interactivity. Get your player into interactivity as SOON as possible.
If I’m sitting down to play a game, I want to play a game. Now, I choose RPGs because I like story, and most RPG fans love story, too, but if that was all they wanted they would probably be reading a book.

RPG Maker games often have a bad rap. I know I've bought several, only to give them up within the first hour mainly because the story was not engaging (either in the form of bad writing or information overload).

What examples can you think of for good and bad game openings?

No comments:

Post a Comment