Search This Blog

Wednesday 1 November 2017

World Building Wednesday 9: Map making

Time for a confession - I actually don't like world-mapping very much. Geography sometimes just feels like it gets in the way of a good story XD

Now, put down your pitchforks... I realise geography plays a huge role in forming a story (Lord of the Rings is a case in point). I guess my problem is that I think of the story first and, when trying to make a map that is interesting, I realise the story needs to change.

For example, here's a map I made.. uhhh... last year? See those mountains separating the desert and the grassland? How would my protagonists get past those quickly, which they need to do to rescue a character. That funny swamp in the below middle - how did it form as no rivers feed into it?



The map will need to be revised, but as I'm rewriting the script I'm going to try, God willing, to keep geography in mind more ^_^

2 comments:

  1. Personally, I'm not a fan of world maps at all! I don't use them. I feel like it takes me out of a world a lot of times. Instead I like how games like Pokemon do it. You're constantly in the world. I don't know if that style has a name or not. I just forget the world map altogether and the way I write game stories it works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually... come to think of it... I'm more of your mindset. *throws world map away* FREEDOM!

      Delete